The Director Index Number (DIN) is the number through which the Registrar of Companies (ROC), Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA), Government of India, identifies directors of companies. A director of a company is thus required to register his/her DIN to deal with the MCA.
Process of obtaining DIN:
The e-form DIR 3 for the purpose of DIN registration shall be digitally signed and uploaded on MCA21 portal. Therefore, before registering the DIN, at least one of the prospective directors of proposed company shall have digital signature certificate (DSC) to validate the authenticity and sender’s identity of electronically transmitted documents to MCA. The applicants for DIN should furnish the details like Name of the applicant, Father’s name, date of birth, present address, Current occupation, Email address, Mobile number, Educational qualification, and text of declaration and physical signature of the applicant etc. along with the under mentioned self -attested documents by the promoters. Remember, particulars filled in form DIR-3 should match with the details given in the supporting documents, failing which DIN application will be rejected. The documents submitted by foreign nationals should be notarised by the Indian embassy. The documents submitted by the Directors who do not belong to the commonwealth countries, shall be apostilled.
- The High-resolution photograph of the applicant.
- The Copy of PAN (PAN is mandatory for identity, name, father’s name and date of birth).
- Proof of father’s name is not required in the case of foreign nationals.
- The Copy of passport is mandatory as an id proof in the case of foreign nationals.
- Present Address proof which should not be older than 2 months. Therefore, in order to establish the present address you may submit latest utility bills such as Telephone / Electricity bill etc.
- The format of verification in Form DIR-4 (which is in Affidavit form).
The application fee is Rs.500/- for registration of DIN. Only electronic payment of the fees is accepted (i.e. payment through NEFT/RTGS / Credit Card/Debit Card etc.). Under revised procedure of DIN allotment, payment through challan is not accepted. Upon upload of DIR-3 and payment of requisite fee the MCA –DIN cell will examine the e-form and DIN will be generated.
Click below to know more on the following:
- Key differences between private limited and public limited company?
- Authorised Capital, Issued capital and paid up capital in incorporation of a company
- All you need to know about digital signature, digital signature certificate and USB token hardware and how to obtain them.
- Guidelines on selecting/reservation of name for your company
- Guidelines on Memorandum of Association and Article of Association of a company
- Company registration process in India explained
- Do you know how PAN card is issued?
- Do you know how TAN card is issued?
Disclaimer: This article should not be construed as a professional advice under any circumstance. It is clarified to the readers that the contents provided in this write-up are intended for general information only and cannot be relied upon for real-time professional facts. If any help/clarification is required, readers are advised to refer relevant provisions of law and also to take the advice from the qualified professionals like a Company secretary, Charted Accountant, etc. before applying or accepting any of the points mentioned above. The author or the website accepts no responsibility whatsoever caused by the use of any information provided in this article and shall not be liable for any losses, claims or damages which may arise because of the contents of this post.